Sunday, February 5, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday - 2/5/12


Today is Six Sentence Sunday, where both published and non-published writers share six sentences from their work. I'm sharing an excerpt from my debut novel, LIFE ON THE EDGE, released last month by Astraea Press.

In this week's excerpt, Emily and her friends have just left the competitors' party at Skate America. Emily is trying to deal with her feelings for her coach Sergei.

"You guys wanna hang out downstairs for awhile?" Chris asked as he did a few hip-hop steps on the way to the lobby, sending us into more laughter. We passed the hotel bar, and I saw Sergei and his dinner companions had moved over from the restaurant.


My smile faded, recognizing yet another reminder of how Sergei was out of reach. He was where he belonged, networking over drinks with officials, and I was where I belonged, being silly with my fellow skaters. 


The dividing line between our roles was too defined to cross.


Thanks for stopping by! To read Six Sentence Sunday from other writers or to sign up, visit the Six Sunday site here.

6 comments:

  1. Great 6, you've really captured in a great way the gulf between them, especially since you show her enjoying her side of the gulf, only to be brought up short seeing him on his side...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. The contrast you've set up here is fantastic! This is powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can feel the heartbreak in her mind here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I think he's not where he belongs and neither is she, lol! Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reading and for all your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In so few words you've shown the great divide between them. :-)

    ReplyDelete