Friday, February 3, 2012

Sweet Saturday Sample

For this week's Sweet Saturday, I've posted another deleted scene from my current release LIFE ON THE EDGE. This scene was part of the first draft of the story before I made a lot of cuts and altered the timeline of events. It takes place a couple of months into Emily and Sergei's relationship.



After our morning training sessions, Aubrey, Marley, and I drove to one of our favorite lunch spots near the rink. As we dove into our salads, Aubrey said, "Marley and I were thinking about doing a shopping trip to Boston this weekend. You in, Em?"

"Can we do it next weekend? Sergei and I are going to the Vineyard this weekend."


Aubrey held her fork in midair. "You're going for the day?"


"No, we're going to the cliffs for the sunrise, so we're leaving Saturday and coming back Sunday.”


Marley raised her eyebrows, while Aubrey set her fork on her plate. "You're staying the night? Just the two of you?"


"Yeah. At my aunt's summer house."


Marley glanced between Aubrey and me. "This is pretty big, Em."


"I know what you’re thinking, but it's not like that," I said.


"You can't really be that naïve," Aubrey said.


"I'm not. I just don't think something has to happen simply because we're alone together."


"Alone in a house . . . at night . . . on an island . . ." Marley added.


"You've gotta know it's the only thing Sergei's thinking about. Honestly, I'm surprised it's taken him this long to make a move," Aubrey said, leaning back in her chair.


"Well, we've been alone at his apartment plenty of times. I guess I've made my boundaries subtly clear," I said.


"Clear enough that he won't be expecting anything this weekend?" Marley asked softly.


I bunched up the napkin in my lap. "I was looking forward to this trip, but now you guys are stressing me out about it."


"I can't believe you weren't already thinking about what could happen,” Aubrey said. “What are you going to do if Sergei expects more?"


"I have to be honest.” I lowered my eyes to the table. “I just hope it doesn't make him have second thoughts about us."



For more Sweet Saturday samples, check out the list here!

9 comments:

  1. Ooh, can't wait to find out what Sergei expects! Wonderful sample! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting - I wonder how clear those boundaries really are? *grin* I could totally feel her doubt or second thoughts (I don't want to mislabel her emotions) creep in this scene. Great excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just hate to delete favorite scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really good scene. Too bad it had to be deleted! I'm definitely curious about what happens at auntie's summer house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. :) Makes me want to know more about the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice scene. I wonder if they'll be able to resist temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm - interesting ending there. Too bad it was cut!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good for Sweet Saturday. Loved the book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you to everyone who stopped by today!

    ReplyDelete