Friday, April 6, 2012

2011-2012 Season Favorites

I was so fortunate this past season to attend four major skating competitions - Skate America, Grand Prix Final, U.S. Nationals, and Four Continents - and I was just thinking back to some of the wonderful performances I witnessed. I thought I'd put together a post and share all my favorites!

Jeremy Abbott's Nationals free skate - Jeremy + Muse = TOTAL WIN




Meryl Davis & Charlie White's Nationals Short Dance - my favorite short dance of the season!




Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff's Nationals Free Skate - graceful, beautiful, elegant, divine!




Daisuke Takahashi's Four Continents Exhibition - in one word: breathtaking. I almost swooned out of my seat.




Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giulietti-Schmitt's Nationals Free Skate - they skated their hearts out and had such an emotional comeback after a tough 2011 Nationals




Jason Brown's Junior Grand Prix Final Free Skate - he has such a wonderful way of pulling the audience into his programs




Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov's Grand Prix Final Free Skate - this was the program that put me firmly on their bandwagon




Adam Rippon's Four Continents Exhibition - I was completely entranced. No words.




Madison Chock & Evan Bates' Nationals Free Dance - I LOVE LOVE LOVE the playful feel and the choreography of this program and they performed it so beautifully and with so much joy




Aliona Savchenko & Robin Szolkowy's Grand Prix Final Exhibition - they are so in touch with the music and each other in this soulful performance




Maia & Alex Shibutani's Four Continents Short Dance - I'll never forget Alex letting out a "whoooo" in the middle of the program! They were both so into it.




Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig's Four Continents Short Program - so smooth and sophisticated!




Meryl Davis & Charlie White's Nationals Free Dance - the crowd was behind them from the first beat, and they fed off the love with a glorious performance




Jeremy Abbott's Nationals Short Program - brilliance.




Meryl Davis & Charlie White's Grand Prix Final Exhibition - such passionate and refined power in this lyrical masterpiece

4 comments:

  1. Where's Marisa and Simon???

    Love all the videos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their Nationals short program isn't on YouTube :(

      Delete
  2. Hi Jennifer,

    I really enjoyed watching those great clips.

    I used to love watching the ice-skating on television, however these days there is so little televised, that I have completely lost touch with it all.

    To show you just how bad it is, the last time I watched ice-dancing, I couldn't even understand the scoring system any more!

    We do have the reality TV show 'Dancing On Ice', which is hosted by our own ex-World Ice Dance Champions, 'Torvill and Dean', but this I choose not to watch, as I am not a fan of any form of reality television.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed them, Yvonne! Yes, the scoring system is quite different. It's made ice dancing much fairer and more competitive, so that's been great. It's a whole different world from the days of Torvill and Dean!

      Delete