Sunday, November 4, 2012

2012 Cup of China FD Thoughts

After a busy Saturday, I'm finally catching up on all the Cup of China action. Let's see what kind of entertainment we'll get from the Free Dance!

Xiaoyang Yu/Chen Wang - Am I dreaming or did they wear these costumes last year but had different music? Were they the ones who did Howl's Moving Castle last year? Some of the choreography and lift entrances look Shpilband-esque.

Xintong Huang/Xun Zheng - Aww, they look really cute! No wacky costumes this year. Yellow and hot pink  wouldn't have been my first choice, but I like the design and the colorfulness. Nice selection of music with Michael Buble tunes and At Last. They look a little crisper than their country-mates. I'm starting to wish that certain ice dance lifts be retired or banned because I've seen them so many times by so many different teams.

Victoria Sinitsina/Ruslan Zhiganshin - I love Victoria's dress. The music not so much. They have a wild on-the-edge quality to their skating. I'm not quite sure what to make of them yet. I find Zhiganshin's sister (Nelli) and her partner much more entertaining.

Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri - I'm enjoying this program a lot! Hehe, they obviously went to Novi with Skary Babs over the summer because they have one of Meryl and Charlie's lifts from the tango and the Latin OD. And they also twizzle very nicely. I don't know if the video is distorted, but this team looks like they're flying across the ice. Love the music (Four Seasons by Vivaldi). I'm putting this pair on my radar.

Madison Chock/Evan Bates - They have great lifts in this program just like they did in their FD last year. Definitely one of their strengths. Madi's white dress looks more Dr. Zhivago-ish than the purple one she wore at the Senior B in SLC, but I thought the purple dress was gorgeous. They look confident and invested in the program. I thought Igor would wear a white tie to match the costumes, but he's tie-less today.

Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje - Kaitlyn's hair looks pretty down, but I thought the braid up-do she had at Skate America looked more "statuesque." I really love this program and the incredible flow of movement, but I'm still bothered by how open it feels. There seems to be a lot of parts where Kaitlyn and Andrew are skating independent of one another.

Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev - Honestly, it's late and after seeing this program in practice numerous times at Skate America and during the competition, I don't feel like watching it again. I find my eyes glazing over during it. Moving along to the French....

Nathalie Pechalat/Fabian Bourzat - I'm not a Rolling Stones fan, so the music doesn't do anything for me. Nathalie and Fabian look super cute again, though. This is my first time seeing the program, and I'm not wowed by anything. There was one lift I thought was pretty cool. I think W/P definitely got the better free dance on Team DSC.

No comments:

Post a Comment